It's been a general practice that when Gabe wakes up from naps I give him a few minutes of a alone time, then burst into the door with excitement, jump up and down and let him know I'm thrilled he's awake. He LOVES this, and usually hops from one foot to the other in his crib and squeals. Once we're done jumping we embrace and love pat each other on the back...it's pretty great!
However, yesterday when I burst in the door to preform our routine Gabe did not reciprocate. He actually stood perfectly still, pacifier in mouth and lovey in hand. Now I know this routine is kinda silly, but when Gabe reacts well I don't care so much, but when he didn't even throw me a bone...I think I might have blushed in front of him. To make it worse, there was no love pat when I picked him up, just grunting and pointing to his board books. So, with my head hung low, I handed him his books put him on the floor and watched him grab his lovey, soft blanket and create a reading place in the corner. I was close to heart broken, when I realized; that's exactly what I love to do. He's just a little ol' me, curling up with his soft things and a good book. So instead of feeling sad, I was excited for our future Saturday mornings when Gabe will wake up, crawl into bed with me and want to read a book together. That might even be better than jumping up and down.
This hits close to home! Quinn and I don't have a dance but I can understand completely when I try to engage her in something silly and she gives me that "look". You know the one, the one that says "mom, cut it out, you're not cool or entertaining. In fact, it's downright embarrassing". Yup, too familiar with it.
ReplyDelete