Monday, April 19, 2010

Cali Trip Part Three: Gabe

After booking the flights to California and calculating the total air time, FOUR HOURS, I had visions, and even one dream, of sheer horror. My dream, two days before departure, was of Gabe's ear drum bursting in flight, while his ear streamed blood I attempted to give 911 my coordinates. Scary...and dramatic I know.

In reality, travel with a nearly one year old is much easier than I expected. As Gabe is relatively chill and can't yet walk, I had two factors in my favor. I also know that the many many prayers friends and family said departure morning and during the day did most of the hard work. Thursday morning Gabe and I found ourselves next to a couple who had 3 children at home; little old Gabe was nothing to them. He charmed their pants off, smiles, giggles, pretend reading of board books and a general pleasant disposition. When we landed in Las Vegas they both said 'He did amazing!'.

My other major concern was Gabe's sleep. We have been blessed with a good sleeper, though it didn't happen without some serious work, consistency, and tears (mostly mine). During an average day Gabe sleeps 12 hours at night, then accumulates between 3-4 hours of naps depending on our daily agenda. I feared the possible effects of travel. Again, God's sovereignty was clear. My baby, who can barely hold his head up after 8 pm at home, was able to shift his schedule to match clock times in Cali (he's soooo smart). Though he didn't maintain the 12 hours, he did keep his nap and only had one rough night. He did the same when he came home! I can't explain it...Clearly God's hand was at work.

This was the face in all my visions. Sheer frustration and volume. This was taken the morning of our departure, we're both kinda home bodies.
Our first morning in Cali. The inflatable bed worked more like a trampoline when Gabe and I were both on the bed.
Gabe frequently entertained himself by crawling back and forth over obstacles. Pillows, Legos, and a Bumbo. Both Sarah and Drew commented on Gabe's durability, he takes a lick n' and keeps on tick n'.
Just coming out of a Nebraska winter, Gabe was more used to indoor temperatures in the upper 60's to mid 70's. On the warmer days in Cali Gabe just couldn't keep his shirt on. It resulted in sweat and rosy cheeks.
"My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness" -2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments:

Post a Comment