Don't let his blond hair, kissable lips, sweet cheeks and droopy left eye lid fool you. I know Gabe sure looks a whole lot like his daddy, but he's really just a little me inside. We had our suspicions his 2nd week home, when we discovered his favorite place in the house was laying in front of the space heater. But at that point we chalked it up to his cold wet casts needing to dry.
But as time went on and Gabe displayed more personality the evidence has been mounting. It might not seem like such a big deal but the truth is, I kinda like Andy's personality more than my own and I've got some flaws. I know, it's hard to believe, and I'm sure most of you will have to think really hard to come up with any examples. But if you put your mind to it you might come up with one of the following: I'm kinda' bossy, a bit controlling, neurotically tidy, awkward in large groups, and generally impatient.
We've seen each of these joys rear it's ugly head in Gabe - though it's a lot cuter when he does it.
For starters, Gabe likes things just so. In Gabe's world there is a home for every thing, and every thing should be in it's home. Picking up with Daddy can be a bit stressful since Daddy doesn't always know exactly where things belong. It's safest if Andy just hands things to Gabe to put away.
If you walk into our house with wet shoes, Gabe will likely complain and follow along behind you with a towel.
For Christmas he received a broom and battery operated vacuum. The demo batteries were replaced but he's already killed the new set.
He's thrilled when I ask him to put things in the trash.
He enjoys laying in his bed and reading alone.
Dried cranberries and yogurt are a recent favorite meal.
His security item is a stuffed dog.
The list could really go on, but what sealed the deal for me was a small event that occurred last week. Many mornings Gabe will play alone in the basement playroom while I get myself ready for the day. He's happy to entertain himself and there isn't really anything down there that he could hurt himself with. The only thing he can't do is turn on the TV. He knows the buttons but he's not supposed to use them.
A few days ago I heard the TV turn on in the basement...A clear violation of the basement rules. So I headed down to discuss the disobedience and dole out the discipline. However, when I rounded the corner I saw this.
Gabe, lounging on the couch, pillows just so while he watched Kathy Lee and Hoda on the Today Show.
For those of you who don't know, my maternal Grandmother warned my mom that one side of my head would be flat from watching too much TV. So, when I saw Gabe (aka Couch Potato Jr) I really struggled to scold as he made it look so appealing. As a result, I quickly grabbed the camera, snagged some pics, gave him a reminder of the rules and joined him for some veg time.
that's really cute. And it's nice to know I'm not the only one that enjoys a little cuddle time with the couch and tv. I'm pretty thankful that Quinn gets sick of tv quicker than I do... for now. As for his personality mimicking yours, we've had a similar situation with personality showing up in Quinn. She's chewing her nails (all 10 of them) down to bloody stumps. And now she's chewing her lip so much that I had to take her in to be checked out. Turns out it's a nervous habit. Weird one if you ask me. But the doc said she see's it a lot in kids her age, especially the "perfectionists". What?! Quinn might be a perfectionist?! I have no idea where she would get that from, seriously!
ReplyDelete