Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Rockin' out with Gabe


Apparently we DO have friends that like to follow our blog, but the truth is that we would never know that because nobody ever comments (except for Sarah, of course). This must change. I am inviting, actually pleading, for you all to share your ideas with me. I am planning on burning a CD for Katie and Gabe for the remainder of her pregnancy on into the first few months of his life. I am hoping that when he grows up he will not only know "Old McDonald" but also some good music from his daddy's generation. While I've brainstormed a few songs, I am hoping that y'all can help me out with some other good music. So, what songs would you put on a CD for your child? What songs inspire you? What songs make you want to roll down the windows on a summer day and sing as if no one is listening? Please share. (if you suggest "With Arms Wide Open" by Creed I will delete your comment)

12 comments:

  1. I thought I'd get this party started right. Here are a few of my picks:
    -Beautiful Boy by John Lennon
    -Dream Big by Ryan Schupe and the Rubber Band

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Andy. You probably won't like my music ideas but I will think about it. The first songs that came to my mind are Wonderful World by Louie Armstrong and Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I like the version that is from the movie You Got Mail. I can't, off the top of my head, think of who sang that version of Over the Rainbow. Just my thoughts. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bro I got a few for ya:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyJN9CEYOlQ&feature=related

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-OAIfdwmUU&feature=related

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhvaDJTUmrU

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick likes to sing "How Great Thou Art" to Sam, I love that.

    Sam LOVES to dance to the Mama Mia soundtrack, his favorite song, "Honey, Honey"

    Music that makes me roll down the windows and sing would include stuff from Fergie, Justin, Gwen Stefani, Nelly Furtado...not sure how baby appropriate that is though :)

    Nick's contribution - "Hail Varsity"...go figure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously that post is from me. I am new to posting on blogs, I have no idea how I managed to have it say Nick!?!?
    - Sarah C (just in case I do it again:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about something from Coldplay or Michael Buble? These are two of my personal faves that I know Katie happens to enjoy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I busted up laughing at the last sentence, I would have to whole heartedly agree! I don't know about grown up songs but i sing You are my Sunshine and puff the magic dragon to her all the time. Sunshine brings a smile to her face, Puff makes her give me a strange look. I sing it anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been dragging my feet b/c I really don't have any good suggestions. It's crazy to me that we're talking about music from "our generation" b/c I remember thinking in the backseat of the minivan listening to KFRX 102.7 (if my memory serves me right)if some day my kids would hear any of our nightly top 10 on an oldies station. You know classics like Vanilla Ice, Boyz II Men, Spice Girls, now the Cranberries may be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andy--

    I am one of Katie's fellow teachers...(we met at Costco last year!) I am a singer from way back :) and when my son was in utero and a tiny baby I was on a Mamas and Papas kick. I used to sing Dream a Little Dream of Me a la Mama Cass to Harrison.

    I hadn't thought much of it and then last year it was on in the car on KGOR. Harrison 7 (last year) pipes up from the back, "Mom, will you turn this up...it is my FAVORITE song." I got teary and sang at the top of my lungs while he swayed to and fro in the back seat. My vote is for Dream a Little Dream of Me sung by the unforgettable Mama Cass Elliot.

    Denise
    P.S. Sorry about my previous oops post :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.P.S. I thought of a few more we love to sing in the car...

    Stevie Wonder--You are the Sunshine of my Life.
    Marvin Gaye--Pride and Joy
    His Eye is on the Sparrow by ANYONE but the version from Sister Act 2 by Lauren Hill and Tanya Blount is Amazing. Another Sister Act 2 pick- Oh Happy Day by The St. Francis Choir feat. Ryan Toby.
    Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians--Nothing.
    Simple Minds--Don't You Forget About Me.
    Hi-High Sneakers--Titus Turner & Tommy Tucker.
    Mustang Sally--
    Disco Inferno--The Trammps
    Joe Cocker (from Across the Universe Soundtrack)--Come Together
    The Beattles--Hey Jude
    G Love and Special Sauce--My Baby Got Sauce (not so sure about the appropriateness of this choice but it a goody.

    I have the Strangest Taste in Music! Sorry I got a little carried away...and this is an older post so hopefully you still want a few ideas. :) Hope Lil' Mama is feeling good...if you need any of the above music let me know and I am happy to help out!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.P.P.S.

    HAHAHA...I forgot the one that my 2 year old niece loves and begs for. No one else in my family has it, go figure.

    Bob Marley--Three Birds. A MUST HAVE!

    DW

    ok I'll try to be done now. :P

    ReplyDelete